November 01, 2011

Overheard at the World Fantasy Convention

This is a feature that appears periodically, as we attend conventions and overhear things.  The tradition of keeping track of anonymous overheard bits and bobs started for us at the 2002 ConJose in San Jose, where trying (or trying not to) fill in the blanks on overheard conversations made us laugh so much that we made it a habit.  These are the (many!) things we overheard at the World Fantasy Convention in San Diego:

"This artwork makes me feel very Colonialist."

"We're staying at the Eldritch Moppet Hotel."

"I am no slave to grammar!"

"Me and ma Fey homies are gonna come down on you wid a quickness."

"It's a bit more stylized & a bit less moist."

"She writes slipstream. . .magic realism.  Our world with a bit of magic."
"So, urban fantasy?"
"No, because it's not set in cities."
"So, bucolic urban fantasy?"

"Your book made me stab my bathrobe.  It could have harboring footless midget zombies."

"Every time I see him, I want to fall to my knees and prostate myself."
"Don't you mean 'prostrate'?"
"No, I think I meant what I said."

"It was at ReaderCon when I karate-chopped a plate of crudite out of your hands."

[San Diego's famous Old Town is called the "Gaslamp District".] "I assume in the Gas_light_ District they change the street names every afternoon."

"It was a really knotty problem that I solved by not thinking about it."

"I really wanted to have sex but my genitals stopped me."

"Doesn't he usually kill his wife and then steal sausages?"

"Amazon regularly tries to sell me my own books."

No comments:

Post a Comment